Latest News Items
TIRE PICK-UP POLICY
The City of Oswego establishes the following policy for the disposing of tires:
- Customers inside the city limits may dispose of their tires by requesting a Wednesday bulk pickup for a fee of $8.00 per tire.
- Customers must pay the fee in advance at the City Office.
- This service is only available to Oswego Residential Refuse Customers. Customers outside the city limits are not eligible.
- The city no longer picks up tires for free during the city-wide clean up week due to the expense of tire disposal and the lack of an indoor storage area.
- Please note: It is against the city’s current nuisance ordinance to store tires outside in your yard. Citizens that have had tires outside on their property for a period of time will be in violation of the city’s nuisance ordinance and it will be treated as such.
The KDHE has issued an alert asking cities to work at getting rid of tires such as this in order to help stop the spread of the Zika Virus and other diseases. Tires are a hatchery for mosquitoes and a haven for snakes.
Most businesses that sell tires will also dispose of your used tires for a small fee. The city would like to encourage citizens to dispose of their tires at the time they purchase their new ones.
Approved this 11th day of December by the Oswego City Council.
F.W. Cunningham, Jr., Mayor
Carol J. Eddington, City Clerk