Important Information about your Drinking Water– Monitoring Requirements Not Met

Our water system recently incurred a drinking water violation. Even though this was not an emergency, as our customers you have a right to know what happened and what we did to correct the situation. We did not submit on time a required report to the Kansas Department Health and Environment (KDHE). Failure to submit the monitoring report on time is a violation of Federal and Kansas regulations and requires us to distribute this public notice to our customers.

We are required to monitor your drinking water for specific contaminants on a regular basis. Results of regular monitoring are an indicator of whether our drinking water meets health standards. Monitoring for turbidity (cloudiness) tells us whether we are effectively filtering the water supply. Monitoring for disinfectant residual in the water tells us whether we are effectively disinfecting the water supply. Disinfectant residual is the amount of chlorine or related disinfectant present in the pipes of the distribution system. If the amount of disinfectant is too low, organisms could grow in the pipes.

Each monthly report is due to KDHE 10 days after the last day of the month. KDHE received our report for June 2023 on 7/11/23.

What does this mean? This is not an emergency. If it had been, you would have been notified within 24 hours. We incurred a violation because we were late in submitting reports to KDHE, and by law we are required to distribute a notice of this violation to our customers.

What should I do? There is nothing you need to do at this time.

What Happened? What is being done? KDHE did not receive the report by July 10th. KDHE has received the June 2023 report. We are now returned to a status of “in compliance” for submitting the report. No further actions are required for this violation except for distributing this public notice to our customers.

For more information, please contact: Calvin Jurgensen at 620-795-4433 or by mail: 703 5th St; PO Box 210, Oswego, KS 67356.

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.

This notice is being sent to you by Oswego, City of, KS.

Federal ID#KS2009908

Date distributed: 10/25/23

THE CITY OF OSWEGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER - If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at