The City Superintendent oversees the Public Works Department.
Public Works includes City Utilities - Water, Wastewater & Sanitation (information provided under separate headings); Streets, Snow/Ice Removal of City Streets, Alleyways, Code Enforcement and Building Permits. 

Streets and Alleys:
City crews are responsible for maintaining the city’s streets, providing rock in alleys and cutting of ditches when needed in preparation for street paving.  Due to the foresight of previous Governing Body’s 75% of the city’s sales tax receipts is used for the maintaining and paving of the city’s streets.  The program began in the late 1980’s, and all streets within the city limits have now been paved at least once.  Oswego is proud to have some of the nicest city streets in the 4-State area. 

Culverts in driveways are the responsibility of the property owner.  To assist you in maintaining your driveway culvert these suggestions, do not allow leaves, branches or debris or trash of any kind to collect in the ditch.  During heavy rains water will wash these into your culvert plugging it and causing back-ups of water when rains occur in the future.  When left for long periods of time it can be practically impossible to clear the culvert without entirely replacing it. 

Mowing of grass and noxious weeds from the center of the street to the center of the alley is the responsibility of the property owner.  City employees check properties to see that they have been mowed.  Usually by the end of April letters are mailed to property owners that have allowed weeds to grow higher than 12 inches.  The city is only required to send one letter each year to the property owner.  The owner has ten days from receipt of the letter (or ten days from the day any unanswered letter is returned to the city) to comply with the city’s ordinances.  After ten days if the property has not been mowed, city crews will mow it.  The charge for mowing is the first mowing is $200 per 50’x150’ lot and any portion thereof, subsequent mowing per 50x150 ft lot is $100, or any portion thereof, plus a $30 administrative fee for each time it is mowed.  

Property owners are responsible for trimming and maintaining existing trees and shrubs.  They should be trimmed back over sidewalks, streets and alleys to allow pedestrian traffic and vehicle traffic without blocking any pathways.  No tree or shrub should be planted in the street right-of-way, alley or any utility or drainage easements, and never in the sight triangle of any street. If you are unsure of where to plant trees or shrubs, please call the city office and someone can meet with you to review the best locations. 

THE CITY OF OSWEGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER - If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at